About Me

My photo
Paul. Christian. Loves God. Cherishes friendship. Enjoys being single. Plays Dota. Collects Gundams.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Somewhat different CNY

Chinese new year. Something some Australians never even heard of. I started off the week thinking this is so going to be one of the most different CNYs for all the wrong reasons.
  1. College starts on the 2nd day of CNY!
  2. No Reunion with cousins,uncles and aunts
  3. The atmosphere over here is nothing compared to back in Msia
The night before CNY, my parents and I had the usual reunion dinner. Only the three of us. Really makes me miss all the CNYs I had back in Msia. It's always when you lose something and only then will you learn the value of it. Be it some privelage, a person or a blessing. So for all of you who used to and are still complaining about the hustle, bustle and troubles of traveling during CNY, try to enjoy it. The warmth of a family, people who truly love you. One day, it will be taken away from you.

The first few days at the new college was certainly an entirly different experience for me. It had plenty ups and downs. The first day of CNY passed being just another normal day for me

On Thursday, My brother came back from Msia. By then I wasnt really thinking alot about CNY but focusing on college.

Then Friday came along. I was somewhat relieved that the weekend was just around the corner. For dinner that night, My family and I decided to go to Chinatown to check things out. My dad was craving for Chinese food and we heard there was going to be a lion and dragon dance. After a short drive, we were there.
Lots o' people there.
Most of them were Asians.
Just the four of us. No relatives.

We waited for half and hour and then:

The show started.
It began with three people dressed in really shinny costume as famous chinese heroes
two of the three of them

The other one. This one has fair skin.

I wonder if this one is indian.
Maybe one of them Hindu gods converted to Budhism

The lion dancing started:


They were controlled by the beating of large Chinese drums and the clinging and clanging of symbols. They ran through the crowd and scared some kids too.

When it was over, the main attraction came on:

The Dragon
It was controlled by about 6 people. To my surprise, Aussies were controlling them. Not Chinese.
It was a fairly small one. Dad was expecting those gigantically long ones.
Hats off to the people controlling it. They were fit!

They ended with more lions and this final pose. Certainly was something different this year. It turned out quite okay. Praise be to the Lord Most High!

No comments: